Maildir is an email file format that logically stores mailbox data files. Whenever the user receives a message, a separate Maildir file is created there with a unique name. But, since Maildir is a server-based email format, you can’t access emails directly. You have to connect to the server every time to read Maildir emails. But users can easily convert Maildir to Outlook. So, let us see how to convert Maildir to PST free?
Although Maildir and PST are beneficial in their ways, you still need Maildir files to migrate into PST file format sometimes. Let us know the reasons behind the Maildir to PST conversion.
Reasons to Export Maildir to PST File Format
As we know that Maildir is a server-based email, you cannot access them without connecting to the server. That is the main reason to export Maildir to PST free. Some common causes are as follows:
- Maildir is an internet server-based email format.
- The mailbox directory is inaccessible to the user.
- To access the Maildir file, the user must have a working network connection at all times.
- Unable to access Maildir files from a local device.
- You cannot view a Maildir file on a personal computer.
Methods to Convert Maildir to PST Outlook
First, you need to take a backup of all your Maildir data. Then let us go through the steps to convert Maildir to PST free online, divided into three parts.
- Part 1: Take out the Maildir Files from the Server
- Connect your PC to the server that contains the Maildir files.
- Select the mail folder and look through the files you want to export.
- You can now see all the Maildir file folders like Draft, Sent, Trash, cur, tmp, new, etc.
- After that, take a backup of all Maildir file folders into your PC.
Now that you have the backup of all Maildir files, you can convert them into PST file format before going to the next part. You can migrate these files into PST Outlook using the Sysinfo Maildir converter. It also allows bulk conversion of Maildir files into PST format with an additional option to split PST files as per your need. After this, let us get into the next part to continue the process.
Part 2: Import PST files into Microsoft Outlook
- First, log in to your Outlook account and go to the File section.
- From the drop-down menu, choose the Open & Export option.
- Now, select the Import/Export.
- Choose the option Import from another program or file and click Next.
- Browse the PST files from the PC and press the Next button.
- Now click on the Finish button next to complete the import process.
You may now open Maildir files in MS Outlook with ease. The procedure discussed above to convert Maildir to PST free runs smoothly with no data loss or corruption in the file formats.
In this article, we discussed some root causes to convert Maildir to PST free above. Furthermore, we have also seen a step-by-step, easy-to-implement process for the conversion. The process is efficient and easy to implement, without any data loss and or alteration. I hope it helped you to find the solution for a free Maildir Converter. Thanks for reading.