How often has it happened to us that we ordered something online and got something else totally? I bet it has. The same might have happened when you choose fine jewelry online. Someone must have told you to buy it from here whereas another told you to buy it from there. You searched and found the third one.
Now you’re confused. So, how do choose the right store? Let’s explore the things you have to keep in mind. But first…
What all comes under fine jewelry?
This type of jewelry has the following characteristics:
- Pieces made out of precious metals such as silver, gold and platinum.
- Studded with natural gemstones such as diamonds, rubies, sapphires, etc.
- Durable jewelry is suitable for everyday wear.
They fundamentally differ from fashion jewelry which are
- Made from metals like copper and aluminum.
- Embedded with simulated stones made with plastic, glass, etc.
- Degrade quickly with time.
Factors that affect our choices
Each person’s preferences are different. This leads to a large number of conditions that must be met for choosing the perfect jewelry. And women, in particular, pay attention to every detail.
Now, we mostly venture into the jewelry market to purchase diamond jewelry (since it is the most splendid-looking, not to say that other gemstones aren’t dazzling).
So, let’s see what details we should focus on to guide our choices.
- Jewelry accompanied by its certification – Certified jewelry comes with a stamp of trust. It proves that the purchase is reliable and you are paying for the real thing.
There are reputed institutions that provide such certifications. The most dependable among them is the Gemological Institute of America (GIA). I’ll explain why that is in the next section.
- The ornaments should be sold by an authorized dealer – Buying your bling from a licensed seller provides a double seal of approval, in addition to the certification for the jewelry itself. You can rest easy that your purchase has been made by someone who values your investment.
- The cost – Most importantly, our budget decides our choices. However, from an authorized seller, you can find a piece of your choice, keeping in mind the 4Cs (more on this as you read on).
Now that we know what to look for, let’s see why GIA certification is worthy of our trust.
Why is GIA renowned worldwide?
Simply because they set the highest standards in gemstone certification, especially diamonds, and have been consistent through space and time. It doesn’t matter where their certification center is located; jewelers and online jewelry stores look up to their standards and have faith in their examination procedures.
Criteria GIA uses to judge gemstones
Although GIA certifies all available types of gemstones, diamonds are their specialty. They evaluate a diamond on the 4Cs (a concept they developed first, now being adopted globally). Let’s take a look at what that is.
1. Cut – Every diamond shines differently due to the way it’s cut. Diamonds come in various types of cuts such as cushion, round, princess, oval, etc. A customer can choose any of these, each varying in value.
2. Color – A diamond’s color is how you distinguish its beauty (you don’t see a swan and say, “Wow! That’s a beautiful crow!). Though the color difference in diamonds is not as drastic as the example I just mentioned, it still affects its beauty and more importantly, its value. Diamonds are classified from D to Z, with D being the best.
3. Clarity – Some diamonds have faults in their structures known as inclusions and surface blemishes. They are graded from FL to I3, where FL means flawless and I3 has many inclusions. These defects affect the price of the diamond.
4. Carat – The fourth C. It defines the weight of the diamond. The more the diamond weighs, the more expensive it becomes. However, this is not always the case as the other 3Cs also affect the price of a diamond.
Wow! That was quite informative. We are now aware of what parameters diamond certification agencies use to authenticate a gemstone and what we should consider while purchasing.
It is pretty easy to check out a physical store, look around, inspect their license, and check the jewelry’s GIA certification.
But when it comes to online jewelry stores, we automatically become suspicious. And that is bound to happen. So, now you may wonder…
Are there any reputable online stores?
There are. And one of the best is Rogers Jewelry. They have been serving customers with ethical professionalism since 1944. A wide range of jewelry items is available with them that are all GIA certified. They offer the best-in-market prices for unwanted and broken jewelry and even have a 30-day return policy, provided the jewelry is returned in an undamaged condition. Customers can expect respect and loyalty from their staff along with the peace of mind after the purchase. So, I recommend you to buy fine jewelry online from Rogers Jewelry and treasure your asset for a lifetime.