You need to visit a dental hospital if after consuming those beverages and foods that are hot or cold you feel pain in your teeth. These symptoms show that you are suffering from tooth sensitivity. If your sensitive teeth come in contact with cold air or foods that are sour and sweet then your condition can get aggravated. Now I am going to tell you what you can do about sensitive teeth.
- Tooth sensitivity
When your teeth’ protective layer wears out then tooth sensitivity can occur. Enamel is a protective layer that covers the gum line’s upper area where the teeth are present, known as the crowns and this information has been given by the ADA (American Dental Association). Cementum is a material that protects the gumline’s lower part known as roots. As compared to the protective coverings a less dense part is the dentin which is present below the cementum and enamel. The dentin tubules which are the microscopic canals are present in the dentin. The dentin can get exposed as a result of damaging or wearing out of the cementum or enamel. The pain and sensitivity that occur in the tooth nerves is because of the hot and cold things that affect the tubules and this happens when the dentin gets exposed as a result of the receding of the gums.
- Various reasons for tooth sensitivity
Tooth sensitivity occurs because of a number of reasons:
- After tooth bleaching, fillings and crowns treatment, sensitivity can occur.
- If at night you do tooth grinding then because of this tooth sensitivity can occur.
- If there is an exposed root surface because of gum recession then it can result in tooth sensitivity.
- If your tooth dentin is exposed because of broken teeth, leaky fillings, wearing out and tooth decay then tooth sensitivity can occur as a result of this.
- When you eat beverages and foods that contain so much acid then tooth erosion can occur because of this and it can result in tooth sensitivity.
- If you brush in an aggressive manner or with a toothbrush that is hard then tooth enamel can wear out causing tooth sensitivity.
- Is there any specific age at which tooth sensitivity occurs?
There is no particular age for tooth sensitivity to occur. Research suggests that tooth sensitivity occurs in people who are 20 to 50 years old and the Journal of Conservative Dentistry has given this report. As people grow old, several changes in the tooth’s physical structure occur and this type of tooth can be more prone to tooth sensitivity but nobody knows the exact reason behind tooth sensitivity. The chances of gums receding are more in older people and because of this tooth sensitivity occurs in them. With the passing of time, tooth enamel wears out and this is the main reason behind tooth sensitivity.
- Treatment of tooth sensitivity
Severe tooth sensitivity can occur as a result of a dental problem that is complex. As per the problem’s severity, the dentist can perform a procedure of bonding, inlay or a crown on your teeth. Tooth sensitivity can also occur because of chronic disease in the gums. So, in this case, proper treatment of the gums is also necessary. A gum graft surgery will be recommended by a dentist if the complete root of the gum tissues has been lost. For completely removing the nerve there is a treatment known as root canal treatment but before performing this treatment an x-ray will be taken by the dentist. This treatment is done if the tooth sensitivity is severe and persistent.
- Treatment in home
There are some tactics at home that you can use for the treatment of less severe tooth sensitivity. For reducing the nerve sensations and for making the enamel strong treatment of fluoride gel can benefit to some extent. But prevention is the tooth sensitivity treatment that is considered as the best. To prevent tooth sensitivity, you need to brush and floss regularly. Always use a toothbrush having soft bristles.
The Best dentist near me can provide the best treatment for tooth sensitivity. He uses the latest tools and equipment for the treatment of various tooth problems.