For many years Lotus Notes is used to share emails which is why it is popular, but nowadays, Microsoft Office 365 is gaining popularity, and users are opting for Office 365. Lotus Notes was developed by IBM in 1989. Office 365 is a Microsoft product that provides cloud services. Moreover, these days advanced features and many other reasons, users find it better to go with Office 365 emailing clients. Therefore, users consider executing Lotus Notes to Office 365 migration tasks. If you are willing to perform the migration task and are confused about choosing the method, congrats on the right platform. Here you will get all your answers.
Why users prefer Office 365 more-:
- Office 365 is more cost-efficient as compare to Lotus Notes.
- Lotus notes require huge RAM, whereas Office 365 requires constrained RAM, which is why users consider migrating Lotus Notes to Office 365.
- With Microsoft Office 365, users can work anytime in any place and with any device, therefore it is convenient.
- Users find it tough to synchronize with Lotus Notes, and it causes irregularity in emails; therefore, users migrate Lotus Notes to Office 365.
- Office 365’s features are much more beneficial and advanced than Lotus Notes.
Ways to migrate Lotus Notes to Office 365-:
Basically, there are two ways to migrate Lotus Notes to Office 365. You can choose from which method you want to perform the migration task. The methods are manual and professional. Firstly we will discuss the manual method. Manually users have to execute IMAP connector task. Follow the following steps to perform the task-:
Step 1-: At first, have a backup of NSF files.
Before proceeding further, take a backup of NSF files so that if any unwanted situation arrives, you can deal with it, as the manual method has risks.
Step 2-: create new mailboxes for each user.
For each user having an account on Lotus Notes, create new mailboxes.
Step 3-: by following the steps below, enable the TCP/IP port.
In the Lotus Notes application, open “Domino Administrator”.
- Go to the configuration tab.
- Open the server document which executes the IMAP services.
- Now click on Ports>Internet Ports>Mail Tab.
- Next, in the IMAP column, “enable TCP/IP port value status”.
- Now you can save the changes and close the application.
Step 4-: Synchronise with the IMAP Connector.
Disadvantages of the Manual Method:
- A user has to be an expert to execute the task manually.
- There is a size limitation with the manual method. Users cannot migrate NSF files of more than 1 GB.
- The method is complicated as well as tiring.
- It takes a lot of time to execute the Lotus Notes to Office 365 migration task.
- The chances of human error are very high with the manual method.
- No feature of auto migration is there in the manual method; thus, you have to migrate all calendar items manually.
- With the manual method, there are high chances of losing data which is a great risk.
The Best Way to Execute Lotus Notes Migration-:
A professional way of using the third-party application is the best way to execute Lotus Notes to Office 365 migration task. The ideal tool to perform the task is Shoviv Lotus Notes to Office 365 Migration Tool. Features of the software are below-:
- The software has a user-friendly GUI so that non-technical users can perform the Lotus Notes migration task swiftly.
- Users can add and migrate NSF files of any length without any limitation in size.
- If you do not want to repeat the whole Lotus Notes migration task, you can use the Incremental export feature, which will help to resume the task from the last ending point and prevents data from duplicity.
- While executing Lotus Notes migration, there is no altering in the data and hierarchy of the folder.
- A feature like an Email translation can change the email address according to the destination server’s email addresses.
- To migrate items from one particular folder to another, use the Folder mapping option.
- It is capable of saving all items in EML and MSG format.
Steps of Shoviv Lotus Notes to Office 365 Migration Tool-:
STEP 1-: First, users must install and launch the software.
STEP 2-: click on the “add NSF file” from the options in the Ribbon Bar.
STEP 3-: There are two options to migrate Lotus Notes to Office 365.
- Go to the Ribbon Bar and choose or click on the “Office 365” option of the “export multiple PST file”.
- Now go and click on the right in the Folder list, choose the “Export Office 365” option and then click on the “multiple NSF files” option.
STEP 4-: Next, Wizard will open the “check/uncheck sub folders”. The “Select all” and “De select all” option is present over there; choose them if required. Now click on Next.
STEP 5-: from the Drop-down menu, select the Outlook profile of office 365 to export the Lotus Notes mailboxes.
STEP 6-: Now, here you will view a report where you can see the whole list of NSF files. Then select each NSF file and click on the “Map Mailbox button” to map it with Office 365 mailboxes. By clicking on the “validate target” option, you can check the existence of the Office 365 mailbox (if mandatory).
STEP 7-: Filter page will come out; check the “export selected item type”. Users can filter based on “Export Only Message Date” the option will help you to choose the Date criteria for export. Options like Email translation and folder mapping are also provided.
STEP 8-: After applying the filter option, click on Next. Now a status page will be shown, where you can see the status of the whole process. If required you can save the report by clicking on the “Save Report Button”. The process is complete now; in the end, click on Finish.
After reading the whole blog, it is clear that the best way to execute Lotus Notes to Office 365 migration task is to use Shoviv Lotus Notes to Office 365 Migration Tool. As the manual method has limitations and many drawbacks, it is not much opt. However, the Shoviv tool provides all the required features to perform Lotus Notes migration tasks smoothly. You can try the free Demo version of the software, and if users have any questions, they can directly contact the technical support team of the software, which is available 24*7 to guide them.